One of the decisive moments during my bar prep came when my bar prep program finally showed us a 65 passing essay answer. It was the only one they showed us during the prep, but it changed my mindset about the bar exam. Once I saw an actual 65 passing answer, as opposed to California Model answers or Bar/Bri sample answers, I went through a paradigm shift and finally believed, “I can do this.”
The 65 answer was nothing special and certainly nothing like the Bar/bri or California model answers. I finally understood what minimum competency really meant.
In this post, I’m going to do an in-depth review of BarEssays, which provides this service and more to all California bar takers. You may have already heard the podcast interview I had with Gil Peles, the founder of BarEssays.com. If not, be sure to check it out as he gives you lots of great tips and advice on your essays. Also, be sure to read on to find out how you can save $15 on your BarEssays.com membership!
You can also see a video review of BarEssays.com here.
What is the problem when it comes to taking practice essays in California?
- Taking practice exams is probably the most important thing you can do.
- Your essays and Performance tests consist of 65% of your total bar exam score!
- To get a more realistic perspective on how your scores are progressing, it’s best to compare your practice answers to actual answers, not California model answers nor Bar/Bri sample answers.
What BarEssays.com Gives You
- Access to Actual essays taken, graded, and scored from the actual bar exam takers.
- Allows you to compare your practice essays to other essays to determine how your score compares.
- Contains thousands of essays covering all topics from the California bar exam since 2000 through present.
How the BarEssays.com Interface Looks
This is the main interface:
As you can see below, you can select to search any of all the essay topics, including the Performance Exams:
You can also search based on scores below a 57.5, between a 60 and 62.5, and a passing 65 or above:
Search any year from 1999 to Present and either the February, July, or both bar exams!
You can also look at both Handwritten or Typed answers:
How many Essays does BarEssays.com Provide?
They provide thousands! They have answers for every essay exam question since 2004 and many from 1999 to 2004. Below, you can see dozens of essays from 2009 Professional Responsibility that passed with a score of 65 or more. This doesn’t even cover all of them. Look at the scroll bar on the side to see how many more there were!
And here are many that did not pass.
For the 2012, see all the passing Performance tests:
And note the performance tests that did not pass.
For each of these essays, you can click on any of the tabs to the right:
- Essay Tab – will show you the actual, graded essay.
- Question Tab – will show you the question that essay was about.
- Calbar – will show you the California Model Answer.
- Review – For a premium subscription, you can get former bar grader notes and feedback about that essay.
As an additional bonus with your membership, for every topic they provide:
- Short, Condensed outlines
- Attack Sheets
With the premium membership, you can view feedback from former official bar graders on some of the essays. Every performance test and essay and question since 2005 have at least one low-scoring and one high-scoring answer, which has been given feedback from a former official grader.
For an extra fee, you can also obtain:
- 1-on-1 Phone tutoring with former official bar graders.
- Submit your practice essays to be reviewed and graded by former, official bar exam graders.
PROS of BarEssays.com
- Easy-to-use and clean Interface.
- Access to thousands of actual, scored bar essays.
- Can’t find this depth of service anywhere else.
- Will be a huge help to get a realistic view of what a passing essay is versus not.
- Price – At $99, this is definitely a steal.
- Both Performance tests and essay samples are provided.
- Good customer service.
CONS of BarEssays.com
- Premium membership may not be that valuable unless you want real, in-depth analysis of some of the essays.
- Some of the older essays (before 2005) may not have former grader feedback.
- Subscription only counts for the bar exam you are currently taking (no lifetime membership).
Overall, I am give BarEssays.com my thumbs up! I HIGHLY Recommended their service. I made a deal with Gil, so you can save on your membership.
Sign Up Now For BarEssays.com and get your Discount Code to save $15 on your membership!
Gil didn’t want me posting the coupon code all over the place, so you must first send me an email at Dustin@IPassedMyBarExam.com for the discount coupon (don’t worry, I’m not going to add you to any lists, spam you, or anything like that). You get the code and that’s it.
Or you can visit http://ipassedmybarexam.com/BEDiscount and have the code automatically send to you.
I want you to take advantage of this opportunity to be better prepared come bar exam day.
Best of luck on your bar exam.
“This name appears on the pass list”
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand that I either have experience or done thorough research with all of these companies, and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the commissions I make if you decide to buy something. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.